I think I will honor his legacy by sharing what his music and persona meant to me.
- The first time I heard Little Red Corvette I gasped because I truly thought I was listening to grown folks have sex in a car.
- The song Controversy turned me out as a little boy. I couldn't believe this man on the radio was singing about people wondering if he is black or white, straight or gay. And, all he wanted was to be free of the bullshit.
- When Purple Rain came out, I went to go see it with my cousin. We caught the first showing at around 11:30 am, we didn't leave the theater till after 5:00 pm. We kept watching it over, and over again.
- I would try to dissect the sounds swirling in my headphones as I listened to his music. The layers of genius left me mesmerized.
- While I was never a big fan of his fashion, I applauded the fact that he turned it out the way he wanted to turn it out. The brother was bold!
Thank you Prince. Your music still transfixes me no matter how many times I hear it. You have lived to see many dawns. I suppose right about now you are meeting up with Vanity and the two of you are going to smoke a peace pipe. Travel on!