Mar 18, 2015
I needed to take a mental diversion. It has been one of those days. So, I am looking at luxury listings and came across the penthouse that was home to Joan Rivers for many moons.
Check out the listing by clicking here.
Ms. Rivers lived the good life!
Why me? So, today I find out that when my accountant went to e-file my tax returns, someone else had beat me to the punch!
Yes, good people, some slime-ball of a human has stolen my SS # and filed a tax return.
Now, I have to wait 180 days for the IRS to sort this mess out. Well, I hope it will be only 180 days. Lord give me strength!
Mar 9, 2015
Yesterday, I celebrated my 47th year on this planet. As I do every year, let me share a few more things I learning on this journey:
- young people will usually do what they want to do, despite an elder's excellent advice
- unfortunately folks in position of power are rarely the best, brightest, or most qualified
- a healthy baby is a blessing to a family because he or she renews hope and reminds adults of their journey
- it is important to have a friend or confidant that is at least 10-15 years older than you
- somethings are destined to be, and most things happen for a reason
- I don't trust people that don't fess up to functioning on some level of cray-cray
- everything old, is new again
- showing up for life is everything
Feb 27, 2015
Leonard Nimoy has passed on. I have to say he lived longed and prospered.
My earliest memory of seeing Leonard Nimoy as Spock was of me being shocked that an actual alien from another planet was on TV. He fooled me. I respect him for realizing he had created such an iconic character, in his role as Spock, that he would forever be remembered for that role.
With dignity and respect for the character, he played Spock several times over in a few of the Star Trek film reboots. He was such a good sport about his Spock and Star Trek legacy. Travel on Mr. Nimoy.
Feb 19, 2015
I know it's old news, but supposedly NBC is considering doing a live version of the legendary musical The Wiz. Let me tell you all kinds of good feelings washed over me, I remember this show when it was on Broadway. I never got to see it live on stage, but knew the soundtrack.
Well, I am hoping the stars align and all will be set to bring this show back to the masses. I loved the movie version, although as I got older I wished the original Dorothy on Broadway, Stephanie Mills, would have been cast as Dorothy in the movie.
While in that train of thought about casting. Here is is my 2015 dreams cast for The Wiz:
Glenda - Audra McDonald (She never has a bad turn in any role. Plus, she can bring that angelic voice.)
Evilene - Jill Scott (Ya know Jill has woke up and said more than once in her life time, "don't nobody bring me no bad news." Her voice is powerful and she can act.
Scarecrow - Usher Raymond ( I think Usher will have fun with the physicality of the role.)
Tin Man - Don Cheadle (He rocked it as Sammy Davis Jr. and I am sure can do a mean tap routine)
Cowardly Lion - Jamie Foxx (Now, who else can sing and bring the comedy better than Jamie?)
Now, I am stuck with a choice for The Wiz and Dorothy! Anyone has suggestions for these two roles?
So, lately I have been utilizing the computer labs at the university. I tend to get more work done, by being in a space dedicated to learning. When I am at home I procrastinate and have a hard time staying focused on my work.
Well, it seemed like a good idea to use the space and resources at school. However, now that the semester is up and running I am noticing that all the twenty-something students that surround me tend to chat, giggle and gossip. I find it amazing they can get any work done.
I haven't said anything, because I am pretty sure I would have done the same at their age. I am going to bring my cushy headphones to the labs just to diminish the ambient sound a bit. Yes, I have become that older and bit grumpier monkey that wants the baby monkeys to pipe down.
Jan 28, 2015
I have been MIA for several months now. Well, actually I've been reading and enjoying your blogging. Renee, Viktor, Michael, et. al., ya be doing it! However, I have been letting the grass grow long, and the dust collect on my own blog.
I assure you it has nothing to do with any major drama, or illness, or disinterest. Gracias a dios. The simple reason is my old ass laptop has been giving me problems when it comes to posting. I am well overdue for an upgrade. However, I need a new sofa first. Priorities!
So, I plan on posting from my lovely computer lab, at my lovely university. BTW I am so digging my TESOL masters program. I am four courses in, loving my cohort and doing well. I will see this journey all the way to the end. I got a lot of guardian angels and the grit to make it happen.
I have also been working really hard to give my K-4 students, at my ever so lovely school, the best that I can give them. They motivate me to bring my pedagogical skills to new levels, and they crack me up! The things that come out of the mouths of those babes.
I have so much on my mind and need to extract things out carefully and in an orderly fashion. I gotta ease back into my blogging with some form of grace and decorum. It would not be cute for me to mentally vomit all over the place. So, please keep an eye out for my future posts.
Aug 2, 2014
It been far too long since I shared some music with you good people. Here are some tracks that have kept me chugging along during the summer. I just finished teaching during Summer School, and now my vacation officially begins.
Peace and Love!
Sires of Lesbos - Long Days, Hot Nights: I am getting that ol' skool house vibe off of this track.
Jul 14, 2014
I realized that I have not been sharing certain experiences. Here is my attempt to catch you guys up on some of my adventures.
- I've been experiencing a lot of loss these past several months. I lost a beloved aunt, an uncle and Gino. I had my moments when I cried about the loss, but then I was able to feel at peace, because, Marcos has showed me on several occasions, that we all will transition to a place for rest and then metamorphosis.
- While providing homebound services to a student, I over hear the mom, in the kitchen, say to her friend, "If you are going to prostitute yourself, do it for you, not for a man. God forgive me for what I had to do to pay rent, but if you are gonna prostitute, do it for you. Don't do it for a man. If you have a man he is suppose to be taking care of you." Luckily, the 10 year-old student was totally focused on his math worksheet. I, on the other hand, turned beet red.
- So, I came out my face to a yungin in the family. I thought I was being this pull no punches, adult. I thought I was going to get across to him by laying down the law. After I found out he was really upset with me, I apologized. We shook on it and I thought all was good. Well, now he aint talking to me. And, now I feel sad about it.
- Still feeling like as I get older, I get better. I roll with it and take action, in order to keep on rolling.