Sep 26, 2020

Notes from the Apocalypse - The Educator's Episode

 


So here is a scene from one of the virtual-classrooms I used during summer school, hence me in shorts and a t-shirt. Yup, Mr. S keeps it casual during the summer. Let me catch y'all up on the haps.

  • I spent the summer teaching myself how to use technology to teach students remotely. This remote learning was never a part of my coursework when I did my teaching certification. I am grateful that this older dog was able to learn some new tricks. 
  • My district started the school-year with us doing remote teaching for the first 10 weeks. This decision by the Board pissed off the superintendent...She then tried to lay a guilt trip on the Board by saying parents need "childcare" in order to go to work 😠 and if we didn't go back parents would start home schooling their kids 😂 and the cherry on her whack sundae was her saying if the teacher really did love their students they would come back🖕. She is not ready for prime-time. 
  • BTW, the Board voted for remote teaching because the buildings were not ready with PPE and not fully compliant with CDC and OSHA guidelines. Yay for safety first!
  • My K-3 students are adapting to our interactive Meets session. The first few days they were intrigued with seeing themselves on the computer screen, therefore I was entertained while seeing the kiddos make all kinds of funny faces. Ya gotta love 'em.
  • I had to remind a few parents that when their child is off of mute, the other students and I can hear their private conversations and the use of profanity in the home. So this week I learned that Mrs. So-and-So thinks her older son's girlfriend is a "lazy bitch." LMAO.
  • I hope when these 10 weeks are up we have the green light to go back into our buildings...remote teaching is double the work, and some of my students need the in-class teaching. Learning remotly aint for everybody.

1 comment:

Reneé said...

The kids definitely need to get back into a school setting education. I see self-regulation falling away with each week that passes by during my weekly interactions with parents/children. I think it is absolute bullshit that during these 6 months out of work and school cities weren't doing better planning.

"...saying parents need "childcare" in order to go to work..."

That superintendent served up a hot platter of "entitled parent" view towards the American education system while defending her position. Makes you wonder how she treated her family members' educators during their school years. Schools aren't childcare centers and teachers aren't babysitters. I went to Catholic schools, and trust, the nuns would have not let a parent entertain a thought like that for a minute. By 3PM your kid better be out of the sight of Jesus on the Cross until the morning bell the next day.