Dec 28, 2010

Glimpses Into The Past

Todd over at Hell's Kitchen shared a major tip for folks that love photography. He had mentioned that the Museum of the City of New York has a great archive of photos of NYC. Yo! He was totally correct.

The Jacob Riis portfolio is heartbreaking. He really recorded the underbelly and poverty of NYC during the 1890s. As I looked at the photos I imagined the stories of each of the subjects. I was transported.

Here is just a taste of what you will find. Take some time to check it out.

Pietro learning to write

A young scrub girl

A dive bar circa 1890, called a black and tan

Young thugs out for no good, chillin' at their spot

A boy and his bootblack kit

These young girls were part of a team that reviewed election results.

2 comments:

Kyle Leach said...

Allan, this is a great resource! I think I'll re-post this on my HP Tree Decor blog. I'll give a shout out to both you and Todd.

Reneé said...

Awesome, I'm heading over to Todd's to check out more pics. The sad thing is that some are forcing America back to those times when the poor and struggling classes were left to fend for themselves on the outside.