Jul 24, 2010

Orlando


Film director Sally Potter, and actor Tilda Swinton, joined forces 18 years ago and created one of my favorite films of all time.

Orlando is a film based on Virginia Woolf's book of the same name. The film is about a character who changes genders and lives through four centuries.

The film is being re-released and I want to revisit the experience. I'm eager to see what new insight I might gain by reconnecting with a work of art with my new 18 years-older eyes.

If Orlando is not being shown in your hood, please rent the DVD. This film has beauty that will nourish your mind, eyes, and soul.

There is a wonderful interview with Sally and Tilda at the Village Voice website.

"Changing is precisely what Swinton worked hard to avoid when her male character wakes up a woman. "Transformation is not about changing," she laughs. "It's about a sustainable spirit." Or, in Potter's equally heady words: "[It's] looking for a state of being-ness through time and space and genders." As Orlando herself says while looking into the camera: "Same person, no difference at all. Just a different sex."

Click here to check it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

U know how much I love Tildy so I'm down for the revisit!

bunnilove said...

I want to revisit too!

Kyle Leach said...

We love Orlando too. Tilda is what we would like every actress in Hollywood to be. Smart, witty, vulnerable, socially active, and beautiful. There are plenty like her, they just don't get exposure.

Wonder Man said...

I want to see this movie, I never got to it