Oct 5, 2008

CWOS - Closing Ceremonies


Well good people, to day is the last day of CWOS. It's been an interesting experience for me and Marcos. In the past years we went as spectators. This was his first year showing his work.

The response he's received has been very positive. I've heard words like, witty, intriguing, clever, vivid. I've also heard comments such as, very innovative, so trippy, a lot to get into, love your colors.

I'm happy he got another opportunity to show his work to a larger audience and get such immediate and sincere feedback. While his family and friends are very supportive of his work, I'm sure it's encouraging for him to get a thumbs up from a larger audience.

A highlight of the weekend was when a mother, from this blue-collar/working class neighborhood, brought in her nine year old son to see the show. She encouraged him to look at the art, and talk about which ones does he like the most. She also praised her son to me by telling me he's an emerging artist himself. I thought that was mad cool.

A low-light during the event is that many of the people of color in this neighborhood never dropped in to see the art in our space or the one across the street. I'm thinking perhaps they may feel this is something that one has to be invited to, or that it's for "other" types of people. I put out more welcoming signs to encourage local residents to come in and smiled as they passed by the front door. They pretty much kept going. Interesting that dynamic.

I'm not sure if they did or not, but next year CWOS should do more outreach and community involvement to get everyone excited about coming to see the shows. There is diversity in the artists showing, it would be nice if the event attendees were as well. I'll make sure Marcos says something when he's asked for feedback about the event.

3 comments:

m said...

I agree about wanting more diversity among the CWOS visitors, but think it is not up to "them" to do the welcoming. CWOS can't do evrything. I Think it's up to the artists to try and communicate with their own neighborhoods, to invite, to welcome, to put in the energy in a personal way. CWOS provides the framework, and advertises, which is already a lot. Most open studio programs do much less. this year I participated in the Harlem open studios tour, and was really dissapointed by the turn out. Believe me, CWOS does a lot more, for the same ammount of money put in by each artist, too.

Allan S. said...

Excellent point M. Artist should reach out personally to their community and local organizations in order to get the word out.

Wonder Man said...

Very interesting to think about