May 28, 2012

Ah, Yes, Memorial Day

Did you know that I come from a military family? My father served in Korea. Two of my uncles fought in  Vietnam. My brother is a former-Marine.

Some of these men in my family have moved on and healed, while a couple of them were never able to fully shed the trauma.

All of them came back to poverty, slums, racism, and very little support in terms of employment. This sad excuse of a welcome back is still being offered to many enlisted men and women today, that return from conflict over oil, resources and strategic military placement.

Wars are mostly fought over goodies, only a few are fought for a noble cause like freedom. Moreover, often the most disenfranchised and poor are on the front lines, protecting the interest of the rich-elite.

With that in mind, I came to this:




No comments: