Aug 27, 2007

My Love/Hate Thang with the Logo Channel

Okay, it's been sometime now that the Logo channel has been up and running, offering the TV viewer programming for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered (GLBT) community. As a queer man I was eager to see what they would offer.

Here's my take on what I've seen so far:

- GLBT people of a "certain" age don't get a lot of play. Most of what you see are twink, taunt, buffed, firm, wrinkle-free faces. While I know they are targeting a sorta MTV-age deomographic, us older folks have been waiting for YEARS for a channel like this. Shouldn't we get some airtime? I wanna see faces and stories that I can relate to, just as much as that young queer in L.A.

- Loving the Click List and the cool music and short-films shown. It's like eating M&Ms.

- I'm glad they are giving airtime to "In The Life." This showed starting serving up GLBT programming many moons ago on PBS and deserves a place on LOGO.

- That scene in "Noah's Arc" where Noah broke up with his boyfriend while they were giving runway together at a ball was genius. Camp to the tenth power. With that said at times the writing and acting on that show falls short of such brillance.

My main concern with a channel like Logo is that it creates a gay ghetto in Cable-TV-Land. While it's cool the GLBT has a place to go to for programming that reflects their lives, it also creates an environment of segragation that might prevent a non-GLBT person from being exposed and possibly learning to appreciate the HUMANESS in a GLBT person.

I guess it's about baby steps. Hopefully Logo will be a huge success and other channels will start to offer GLBT programming that is inclusive rather than a novelty, as well as, highlight issues facing the GLBT community.

No comments: