Nov 30, 2007

Deep In Vogue

Back in 1988 my dear friend Willie Ninja called me and asked me to write lyrics to a song he was doing with Malcolm McLaren. The result was Deep In Vogue.

As I mentioned in a previous blog post Willie and I got swindled out of publishing rights, writing credits and money. Hey, we were young kids from the ghetto and didn't really know how the music industry operated.

Over the past few years I have met many people that told me they were inspired by that song. You see for a young gayling growing up in a small town, Deep In Vogue provided a fab-boo-less light at the end of a dark tunnel.

A few years before Willie passed, he spoke on a panel about his career. I was in the audience. When he talked about Deep In Vogue, he asked me to stand up and acknowledged our collaboration on the song. His gesture of appreciation meant the world to me.

I wrote the lyrics that Lourdes sang so seductively and fiercely. Enjoy.

No comments: