Jan 25, 2009

I Done Heard Somethings Over The Weekend


Honey, I found out some good gossip over the weekend. Let me start sharing:

1. I heard that Robert Verdi of "Fashion Police" fame is an undercover person of partial Puerto Rican ancestry. While it's been noted that his mom is a Portuguese immigrant, it's kept on the down-low that if not one, then both of his parents are Puerto Rican. I heard this straight from the mouth of a woman that worked with his mother. And, according to her, at the age of 16, Robert told her he planned on changing his name and background when he gets older. If this is true, tsk, tsk, to Mr. Verdi. Hating on who you are is never in fashion.

2. I didn't know that our 15th president, James Buchanan, was considered during his time to be queer and had his lover shacked up with him in the White House. According to Wikipedia:

For 15 years in Washington, D.C., prior to his presidency, Buchanan lived with his close friend, Alabama Senator William Rufus King. King became Vice President under Franklin Pierce. He took ill and died shortly after Pierce's inauguration, and four years before Buchanan became President. Buchanan and King's close relationship prompted Andrew Jackson to refer to King as "Miss Nancy" and "Aunt Fancy", while Aaron V. Brown spoke of the two as "Buchanan and his wife". Further, some of the contemporary press also speculated about Buchanan and King's relationship. Buchanan and King's nieces destroyed their uncles' correspondence, leaving some questions as to what relationship the two men had, but the length and intimacy of surviving letters illustrate "the affection of a special friendship" and Buchanan wrote of his "communion" with his housemate. Such expression, however, was not necessarily unusual among men at the time. Circumstances surrounding Buchanan and King's close emotional ties have led to speculation that Buchanan was gay.

Lord, forgive me for gossiping away so early in the year. Tacky? Yeah, maybe, but I needed some bochinche to get me through a cold rough weekend. I'll go back to taking my own inventory tomorrow.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Robert Verdi is annoying, I'm not surprised!

Anonymous said...

Feel better Allan! And honey, please, in early U.S. times it was so hard to figure out who was into guys and who just had close friendships. Back then, men often shared beds with each other because times was hard. There's no telling who did what when under those covers.

I assume that they all did. It's easier (and more fun) that way...

Reneé said...

Oh really, as far as Verdi goes. I want him to be ashamed of himself but I know he's not capable.

I believe it about Buchanan because from the nonsense I just finished reading about Andrew Jackson those folks stayed up in each others business, and females called folks out over tea & scones on the daily.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I had to look that one up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bochinche

Allan S. said...

Todd, I love the fact that you are a life-long learner.