Aug 14, 2010

A Forgotten Film You Should See

There is a wonderful, yet forgotten, film that I'm going to go and find. I saw it when I was very young, and it has always stayed with me. This film is something special.

Pennies From Heaven starred Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters. Pennies From Heaven was initially born as a song, then twice became a film, and a TV show for the BBC.

The story takes place in 1930s Depression America. "Arthur Parker, a sheet-music salesman, is having a hard time, both in his business and at home with his wife Joan.

His business is failing and Joan is not amorous enough for Arthur and refuses to give him money to start his own business. His dream is to live in a world that is like the songs he tries to sell."

It is one of the most underrated films of its time. The cast was amazing and the music is sublime. The film has many flights of fantasy. Here is just a taste.

I've always wondered how Bernadette would have turned this number out with her own voice, instead of lip-synching.


Yes! That is Christopher Walken stripping.

3 comments:

that girl said...

my husband has often raved about this movie. he loves it!

Allan S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lelocolon said...

I am so glad you asked me to watched this movie with you. Cause you know I hate musicals. But this movie was so much more than that. And when I told you this movie was dark, you said to me totally. I love the fact that this was a movie about the depression and people's fascination with pop culture which in the case of the sells man was songs. This movie made me reconsider my attitudes against musical. Thank you