Dec 14, 2008

R.I.F.


Over the past few years I have revisited some of my favorites books. I may have blog about this before. I have found the experience to be so much fun. Recently I reread Animal Farm by George Orwell, and Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut. I have to say both books have proved rather prophetic.

I'm sure you are all familiar with the tale of corruption that unfolds in Animal Farm. If not check it out. I think every young person should be given this book by an older caring human being. It's a must. I gave it to my nephew on his 14th birthday and inscribed in the book "Don't ever become a sheep!"

Galapagos tells the tale of a planet that is killing its natural resources, paper money is losing its value, and the big brains of humans causes more trouble than they are worth. Also, the tale is told by a ghost that stays on earth for a million years, because he was waiting to see when humans beings finally became better people.

Ahh books. Oh and I finally got a library card for the local libraries. My school's library did not have a circulating copy of Animal Farm (can you imagine that) and I realized I needed to increase my options.

3 comments:

Joie Mayfield said...

Loved it. :) I think people write off books of old because they aren't as trendy and hip as Harry Potter or Twilight. :) Thanks for helping remind us to keep it simple. :) I hope you're having a good Holiday Season, Allan. :) I appreciate you.

Reneé said...

I'm sensing a trend here.
You've got to be the 4th blogging person I know that's posted about their love of reading in the last 3 days. People seem to be rediscovering the beauty of sitting quietly and taking in the written word, which is always great in my opinion.

Wonder Man said...

I haven't read that book since high school...memories