Sep 9, 2008

Word of the Day: Staycation


I found a new word from a recent story in Freakonomics:

Staycation: Vacationing at home to save money.

As a broke ass student I am constantly taking staycations. The pluses of a staycation are:

1. It is affordable.
2. I enjoy the food.
3. I don't have to exchange my American dollars to a currency that diminishes the value of my meager earnings.
4. I don't have to pack.
5. I don't have to deal with flight delays.
6. I'm able to catch up with chores around the house.
7. My body doesn't have to regulate itself to a different time zone.

The minuses of a staycation are:

1. I'm reminded about how broke I am
2. I gotta cook for myself and hope the hubby cleans the dishes.
3. I end up doing chores in the house.
4. I end up sleeping more than I should.
5. I get to go nowhere, thus missing out on new adventures.

I've noticed a lot of folks I know, are also taking more staycations. Feel free to comment on the pluses and minuses of a staycation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always been a big fan of the staycation. My parents just went to California for Labor Day weekend and went they got back they were so tired they didn't even go to work on Tuesday!

Vacations are more work than they are a good thing if you're not rich and can have everything taken care of for you. I'd much rather stay at home and order my room service (the Chinese restaurant down the street).

Wonder Man said...

I live in L.A., it's the good place for staycation