Oct 9, 2009

The Noble Nobel Peace Prize

I intend to leave after my death a large fund for the promotion of the peace idea, but I am skeptical as to its results. - Alfred Nobel

ALEX NOBLE:
If I have been of service, if I have glimpsed more of the nature and essence of ultimate good, if I am inspired to reach wider horizons of thought and action, if I am at peace with myself, it has been a successful day.

AGATHA CHRISTIE:
One is left with the horrible feeling now that war settles nothing; that to win a war is as disastrous as to lose one.

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN:
There never was a good war or a bad peace.

BUDDHA:
“When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.”

CARL SANDBURG:
Choose
The single clenched fist lifted and ready,
Or the open hand held out and waiting.
Choose:
For we meet by one or the other.

DAVID W. BROOKS:
If we are going to stop wars on this earth, we are going to have to make war on hunger our number one priority.

DOROTHY THOMPSON:
Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict -- alternatives to passive or aggressive responses, alternatives to violence.

HELEN KELLER:
I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace.

JIMI HENDRIX:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

JOHN F. KENNEDY:
Unconditional war can no longer lead to unconditional victory. It can no longer serve to settle disputes. It can no longer be of concern to great powers alone. For a nuclear disaster, spread by winds and waters and fear, could well engulf the great and the small, the rich and the poor, the committed and the uncommitted alike. Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.

JOHN LENNON:
Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one.

MARIA MONTESSORI:
Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war.

MARIAN WRIGHT EDELMAN:
We are not going to deal with the violence in our communities, our homes, and our nation, until we learn to deal with the basic ethic of how we resolve our disputes and to place an emphasis on peace in the way we relate to one another.

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.:
True peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice.

Who was it that said, "What if we had a war, and no one showed up?"

1 comment:

lelocolon said...

I believe that deep within my rage I do crave peace.