Feb 26, 2009

Making A Chocolate Amends


Good people, I have f-ed up on you. I forgot to tell you about this elixir for the gods that I made a few weeks back. It was hot chocolate made with COCONUT MILK. If you are a lover of Mounds candy bar, you must try this. I got the idea from an article in the NY Times, yet added my own special touch with the assistance of Marcos and a buddy.

One 15 oz. can of Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
One 12 oz. can of evaporated milk (not condensed, too sweet)
One 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (brand of your choice)
Two tablespoons of brown sugar
One cup of water.

Pour all of the liquid ingredients into a pot. Make sure you shake the can of coconut milk and get every bit, including the solids out of that can. The stove should be on medium heat. Don't want it to hot. The mixture may look broken, but it will all come together once you start adding the chocolate.

Bring to a simmer and stir in the chips a little at a time. Use a ladle to stir and constantly aerate the mixture while it's coming to a low boil, by scooping up some of the orgasmic liquid love with the ladle and pouring it back into the pot. The higher your hand goes the more air you will get. This will make it frothy. Once all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is well combined you are ready to enjoy.

I guarantee you this will be the most decadent, silky and complex cup of hot chocolate you've ever had. Garnish however you like. Please let me know of any unique variations you create.

I truly apologize for not sharing this early. No worries we still have a chill in the air, so you can still curl up with a mug.

3 comments:

Reneé said...

*runs over to supermarket for a can of coconut milk"

Allan S. said...

Awesome! I'm eager to hear your take on it.

libhom said...

I wonder if you could put Ghirardelli Sweet Ground chocolate directly into heated coconut milk. It works great with skim cows milk.